The Equid Power Network is a coalition created by:
with the aim to highlight the benefits of working equids by promoting their responsible use and care, recognizing them as a valid, affordable, clean and renewable power source, as well as their value in human livelihoods through their contribution to financial, ecological and social capital.
Our general aims and objectives are:
- To promote the potential of working equids as a valid and sustainable energy source, for sound techniques in agriculture, forestry, environment management and mobility.
- To raise the profile and protect the welfare of working equids, by increasing recognition of their value in human livelihoods through their contribution to financial, ecological and social capital.
- To promote the recognition of the importance of working equids by decision and policy makers and by civil society at all levels, ensuring a real development and improvement of this technology.
- To demonstrate that healthy working equids play a key role in the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals by increasing productivity and income (reducing poverty and hunger), by reducing time and human labour in the production chains, by empowering women and enabling education (by greatly reducing the working effort of family members, mainly women and children), but also by promoting working equids as an affordable, clean and renewable energy source, able to carefully manage and protect natural resources, including soil, water, landscape and biodiversity.
- To promote modern small-medium scale equipment specifically developed for animal traction use.
- To demonstrate the increasing progress and professionalisation of the sector related with animal traction tools in recent years, for crop production (in all phases of the process), harvesting as well as post-production operations, among other areas.
- To create a comprehensive specific database of manufacturers dedicated to animal traction (both implements and harness).